HOW TO DIY THIS EASY APPLIQUE IKEA HACK FOR A HIGH-END CARVED DETAIL LOOK FOR LESS.
I’ve been working on my daughter’s playroom and I’m so excited to show you this easy applique IKEA hack for the IKEA Kallax door inserts.
Who said toy storage couldn’t be beautiful?
Transform this basic IKEA furniture into beautiful, hidden storage in just a few steps.
A big thanks to O’verlays for supplying materials for this project! Disclosure: Affiliate links are used in this post, at no cost to you.
Our playroom is starting out completely empty, but we know we need ample toy storage.
Organizing has become a priority as I’ve gotten older and I wanted to have a hidden place for anything and everything.
IKEA CUBBY HACK
I’m a mama on a mission to keep a beautiful home with kids.
I could have just bought the Kallax shelf unit and some cheap baskets and called it a day, but instead, I wanted to create something pretty and unique that is actually hidden toy storage.
I won’t bore you with the Kallax assembly details – refer to your IKEA instructions or check Youtube for tutorials if you get lost.
There are just a few quick steps that anyone can DIY.
- Lay out all of the O’verlays on cardboard or plastic sheeting
- Paint the O’verlays to match the IKEA furniture
- Put Liquid Nails on the back of each panel
- Attach the panels to the doors, let set overnight
- Drill a hole through the panel on each door for your hardware
That’s it! Like with any project, I ended up making multiple trips to Home Depot.
Once we got to the finishing touches, I realized I wanted gold hardware, so I spray painted the IKEA Kallax hardware with Rust-Oleum metallic spray paint.
I laid the hardware out on cardboard and used two coats, letting them dry after each coat.
As I was screwing in the hardware, I realized the screws included were not long enough to fit through the door AND the O’verlay!
So I took a screw into Home Depot and found the same ones in a slightly longer length.
I’ve included the correct screws you’ll need in my material list to save YOU time.
DIY APPLIQUE IKEA KALLAX HACK
- Six of the O’verlays Harper Thick 13″ Kit
- A quart of Sherwin Williams Pro Classic Satin paint in the standard white base
- High quality 1.5″ angle paint brush or paint sprayer
- Liquid Nails Construction Adhesive
- Large cardboard box, broken down
- Power Drill
- Rust-Oleum Metallic Spray Paint
- Six M4 x 25mm screws
OVERLAYS APPLIQUE IKEA KALLAX HACK
We are one step closer to finishing Tenley’s playroom and I am LOVING how this project turned out!
Shop My Sources:
Shop My Favorite Baskets for 13″ Cubes:
Before You Go
Have you seen my tutorial on how to build an organized kids closet system for $100?