Looking for the perfect girl names that mean love?
There are so many beautiful love-themed names for a little girl to choose from!
Some of the most well-known girl names that mean love are Amy, Amanda, Cara, Davina, and Rabina.
These girls’ names originate from Africa, Greece, Italy, Israel, and other ancient Latin countries.
If you want to give your daughter a unique baby girl name, you’re going to love our list of over 75 love-inspired names with special meaning.
Let’s get started!
Popular Girl Names That Mean Love
If your new bundle of joy is on the way, you’re probably searching for the perfect baby name.
Some parents are drawn to a more unique choice but others simply love choosing a more popular name.
Below are some girl names that mean love which have existed for hundreds if not thousands of years.
While some classic names have stood the test of time, others may come and go with trends.
This first list of sweet baby names will give your daughter a name not only means “love” but is also one that is popular.
- Aiko – a Japanese name: little loved one
- Amanda – Latin origin: worthy of love
- Amora – a Spanish name: love
- Amy/Aimee – Latin, and as a French name: beloved
- Aspen/Aspyn – Canadian, American, Mexican: matching the Aspen tree with heart-shaped leaves.
- Carina – Italian, Latin: beloved
- Cheryl – French origin: darling, beloved
- Darlene – British, English origin: tenderly loved
- Davina – Hebrew name, Scottish: beloved one
- Dori – Greek, Old German, Latin: adored, gift
- Imogen – Celtic origin, Greek: beloved child
- Ingrid – Old Norse: beautiful, loved
- Kalila – an Arabic name: sweetheart, darling
- Marianna/Mariana – Latin name: beloved, star of the sea
- Mila – Slavic origin, Russian origin: industrious, hardworking, dear one, gracious
- Oratilwe – African: loved one
Related: Long Baby Girl Names
Latin Girl Names That Mean Love
The Latin languages are deemed among the most romantic in the world.
If you’re looking for a lovely baby girl name, giving her a beautiful name with Latin roots will set her up for a lifetime of lovely meaning.
Here is our selection of Latin girl names that mean love:
- Amadea – God’s beloved
- Amara – an adorable name meaning “to love”
- Amia/Amiya – to like, to love
- Cara – a traditional name naming “friend, beloved, dear, loved one, darling”
- Cher – beloved
- Cherish – dear, to hold on, to hold close
- Desi – desired
- Melina/Milina – a pretty name meaning “honey”
- Myra – admirable, beloved
- Philomena – a friend of strength, loved one
- Pippa – a cute name meaning “lover of horses”
- Querida – beloved
- Rina – joyful, peace, beloved, melody, pure, queen
- Settarra – a gorgeous name meaning “beloved”
- Valentina – healthy, strong, Valentine
Related: Baby Names Meaning Protector
Goddess Girl Names That Mean Love
As you sift through names that mean love for your baby girl, you may be tempted by the many goddesses that have graced history with their power over love.
Their stories are lovely, and their beautiful meaning may the perfect fit for your baby, too.
Choose from this list of names and your daughter will rise to every challenge.
Here is a list of goddesses of love from around the globe:
- Cythera – Greek origin: goddess of love, beauty, pleasure, procreation
- Freya – Scandinavian: goddess of love and beauty
- Hathor – Egyptian: goddess of dancing, love, fertility, beauty, and music
- Ishtar – Babylonian: goddess of war, fertility, and love
- Lada – Slavic: goddess of love and beauty. Bringer of Spring
- Madan – Indian: goddess of love
- Sjöfn – Norse: goddess of love
- Venus – Roman: goddess of love
English Girl Names That Mean Love
If you are in search of English girl names that mean love, you are in luck!
Many of these beautiful baby girl names originate in England, Ireland, and Wales.
Each one would be a beautiful option and clearly holds the meaning of dear love in their roots.
Here is our list of English options for a female name that mean love:
- Cariad – Welsh name: love
- Carys – Welsh origin: to love, precious, beloved friend
- Cerys – Welsh: love
- Cordelia – Irish: heart, daughter of the sea, heart of the sea, jewel of the sea
- Kerensa – Cornish: love
- Lennon – Irish: lover, blackbird, cloak
- Love – English: love
- Lovella – English: love, affection
- Mabel – an English name: loveable, dear
- Maitane – English: dearly loved
- Mirna – Gaelic: beloved
- Taffy – Welsh: loved one
Related: Short Baby Girl Names
Exotic Girl Names That Mean Love
When selecting a name for your new arrival, a simple name that means “love” may not be enough.
One with exotic roots may get you more excited!
If you want to select a name that means love but comes with an air of something a little different, you might enjoy an exotic name from different cultures around the globe.
Here is our list of exotic girl names that mean love:
- Ahava – Hebrew: love
- Amarissa – Hebrew: little love, little lover
- Aroha – Maori: love
- Dua – Albanian: prayer, love
- Esmé – Persian: beloved
- Femi – Nigerian: love me
- Halia – a Hawaiian name: remembrance of a loved one
- Juji – African: heaps of love
- Kaleikaumaka – Polynesian: beloved child to be looked upon with pride and love
- Kama – Indian: love, ripe
- Lida – Slavic: loved by the people
- Libi/Libby – Hebrew: my beloved, my heart
- Lolovivi – an African name: there is always love
- Manami – Japanese origin: love, affection, sea, ocean, beautiful
- Milena – Czech: love, grace, warmth
- Nayeli – Mexican: I love you
- Nayla/Naylah – Arabic: I love you, achiever
- Noorie – Indian, Arabic: light of love
- Penda – Swahili: love
- Prema – a Sanskrit name: loveable, affectionate
- Rabina – Nepali: beloved, loveable
- Sevda – Turkish: love, passion
- Suki – Japanese: beloved
- Thuong – Vietnamese: love tenderly
- Vashti – Persian: love, beauty, goodness
- Vida – Hebrew: beloved
- Yaretzi – Aztek: you will always be loved
Frequently Asked Questions About Girl Names That Mean Love
Are There Unisex Names That Mean Love?
Many lovely names that mean “love” can be used for both boy and girl babies. Our favorite gender-neutral names include the following:
- Aarati – Hindi: worthy of love
- Amabilis – Latin: lovable
- Lennon – Irish: lover, cloak, blackbird
- Love – English: affection, care, love
Are There Girl Biblical Names That Mean Love?
The Bible is filled with women whose names have the meaning of love.
If you’re looking for baby name inspiration that embodies your love for God then here are a few of our favorites:
- Amy – beloved
- Eva – beloved
- Mia – beauty, beloved
- Noa – love
- Pa – beloved
- Biny – lovely
- Cara – darling
- Dina – love
- Hanna – happiness, flower
- Mary – wished-for child
Related: Sophisticated Baby Girl Names
When Did Humans Start Naming Their Children?
It is believed that we started naming ourselves and our children long before we were homo sapiens. Naming is a way of identifying one person from another. Certain animals, like dolphins and gorillas, also name each other.
Our first recorded names are from 3200 BC and are from Egypt and Samaria. Common names for that time were Gal-Sal, Enpap-x, and Sukkalgir.
Who Are Celebrities With Names That Mean Love?
Celebrities are known for their sometimes-outlandish names and for giving their children names that are a little far out.
In the case of celebrities with names that mean love, you will find that their names are as lovely as the stars themselves.
Here are a few of our favorites:
- Venus Williams. Venus Williams, a tennis star, is named after Venus, the goddess of love. Venus is also the name of a planet.
- Dua Lipa. Dua Lipa is an English-Albanian singer and songwriter. Her name, Dua, means “prayer” and “love.”
- Imogen Heap. Imogen Heap is a British Singer, songwriter, musician, and record producer. She has reached great heights as a solo artist and as part of her duo, Frou Frou. Imogen means “beloved child.”
Related: Cool Space Names for Baby
There are hundreds of beautiful girl names that mean love.
Whether you love one that has its literal meaning or one with more mystery, you are bound to find the perfect name for your new arrival.
You may find a lovely name with Latin roots or a unique name with more exotic origins.
No matter what the origins of the name you select, know that the underlying meaning will run deep throughout the life of your sweet daughter.
She will be carried by your love her whole life.
Every time you say her sweet name, she will be reminded of your love for her and her value in your family and the world.