Disclosure: Affiliate links are used in this post, at no cost to you.
The standard bottom of a Graco Pack n Play is hard and certainly appears uncomfortable. It’s no wonder why parents everywhere are looking for ways to make it more comfortable for their little one!
Today we’re highlighting 6 of the best pack and play mattress options for your baby.
Our top pick for the overall best pack and play mattress is this Tri-Fold Hiccapop Pack and Play Mattress.
Why? Because of the included carrying bag and it’s tri-fold pack feature!
Most of the other playard mattresses do not fold, so they are less easy to travel with.
Now, let’s get started on finding the perfect pack n play mattress for your little one…
Overview of the Best Pack and Play Mattress Options for Baby
We came up with this list of the overall 6 best pack and play mattress options to save you time researching.
Below is a quick summary with the brand names and important things to note about each one.
After that, we’ll deep dive into our favorite features of each one.
|Hiccapop Tri-Fold Pack n Play Pad with Firm (for Babies) & Soft (Toddlers) Sides [Includes Carry Case]||$50.99||See On Amazon|
|Hiccapop Pack and Play Pad [Dual Sided] w/Firm Side (for Babies) & Soft Memory Foam Side (for Toddlers)||$59.92||See On Amazon|
|Papablic Pack and Play Mattress | Dual Sided Mattress for Babies and Toddlers | Unique Cooling System||$51.95||See On Amazon|
|Organic Dream Pack and Play Mattress I [Dual-Sided] I Firm Infant Side + Memory Foam Toddler Side I Plush 100% Organic Cover||$74.99||See On Amazon|
|Dream On Me Breathable Two-Sided 3" Play Yard Mattress, Greenguard Gold Certified||$41.51||See On Amazon|
|Milliard Memory Foam 2" Pack N Play Mattress Topper [Includes Roll-N-Carry Feature for Traveling]||$44.99||See On Amazon|
Best Overall Pack and Play Mattress
As discussed above, our pick for the best overall pack and play mattress is the Tri-Fold Hiccapop Pack and Play Mattress. We love how it folds and stores for easy travel.
What else do we love?
- Dual-sided – a firmer side for newborn support and a softer side for maximum comfort for older babies
- Fits all standard sized playards
- Soft mattress protector that’s waterproof and stain resistant
- Machine washable and dryable
- Carrying case included
The price point is also on the lower end of all of the pack and play mattresses we’ll look at today.
Related: The Best Travel Bassinets for Baby
Best Organic Mattress for Pack and Play
More and more moms are opting for crib mattresses with an organic cotton cover and the pack n play mattress is no different.
If you’re looking for a safe mattress, the Organic Dream Pack and Play Mattress is the best choice due to its breathable design and nontoxic materials.
Why do we love it?
- 2 Stage Mattress with a firm infant side & a soft side for toddlers
- Made of 100% Organic cotton & 100% breathability
- Perfect fit for all major playards
- Made in the USA with quality, safe materials
- Comes in a waterproof cover that’s also hypoallergenic and stain resistant
- GreenGuard Gold Certified
As you can see, this pack and play mattress has an extensive list of awesome features which give it really good value.
Best Travel Pack N Play Mattress
This option is actually called a mattress topper, though it accomplishes the same task of a comfortable mattress.
It’s another great option for easy travel because it rolls up and comes with a carrying strap.
Why else do we love it?
- Provides soft comfort for your little one so they have less interrupted sleep
- Comes in a removable cover that’s hypoallergenic and washable
- Made of high quality memory foam that will last for years of use without losing shape
- It’s CertiPUR-US certified and ventilated for cooling
This one is fairly “no frills” compared to the above pack n play mattresses, but it’s still a great option for a comfortable sleeping space.
Best Waterproof Mattress for Pack N Play
The Dream on Me Pack and Play Mattress is the one our family purchased and used for both of my children. Back then, I went on Amazon and just quickly picked “Amazon’s Choice” which was this one.
It’s a very simple pack n play mattress with a vinyl cover.
Here’s what we love (and don’t love) about this one:
- 100% waterproof cover because it’s made of vinyl, so it wipes clean easily and liquids roll off
- Lightweight design that fits snug to most playards
My only issue with it is that it doesn’t fold at all, so you can’t travel with it on a plane. We always brought it with us in the car, but it takes up a lot of room in the car. A few years ago I didn’t know they made tri-fold ones… or maybe they weren’t made yet!
Also, because of its vinyl covering it makes sounds when baby moves around.
It’s still a great budget mattress option that has a snug fit and is great for easy cleaning.
Best Pack N Play Mattress for Hot Sleepers
We think the best playard mattress for hot sleepers is the Papablic Dual Sided Play Yard Mattress due to its cooling system.
What do we love about this one?
- Rounded corners for a snug fit, meaning no naps or risk of suffocation for newborns
- Cooling fabric and breathable mesh side cover for keeping baby at the right temperature
- Memory foam mattress side for older babies and support form on the other side creates the firm surface needed for young babies
If you’re having a summer baby or you know your baby regularly is a hot sleeper, this one may be the best option for you.
Best Playpen Mattress for Comfort
Our sixth and final playard mattress option is the Hiccapop Pack and Play Pad. Nothing in particular stands out about this one that’s different than the others, but it’s got all the same great standards as the other such as…
- A good fit corner-to-corner with no gaps for peace of mind
- A waterproof cover that’s made of a soft material for optimal comfort
- Dual sided with a firm side & soft side, made of CertiPur-US foam
- Made of CertiPur-US foam
This one is in a slightly higher price range so it’s not our top choice, but it will still make a great safe sleep space for your little one.
Final Words on Traveling with a Baby
Traveling with an infant is not for the faint of heart! Many times our little ones do not sleep as well on the road as they do at home. As parents, we’ll try anything to ensure restful, interrupted sleep. As long as those baby products are safe choices, of course.
Another way to encourage longer stretches of sleep for your baby is to ensure the room is completely blacked out from sunlight. Did you know there are now travel blackout curtains made? We’ve got a great review of the Sleepout Curtain you can check out, with real photos of our family using this product.
You may have also heard of the SlumberPod, which is essentially a “privacy pod” or blackout tent where the bottom is open so it slips right over a pack n play. Our family used this product A TON – see photos of everywhere we took it here on our full review.
Whatever you choose, take advantage of these awesome baby products that our parents surely didn’t have access to for help when we were growing up!